Friday, June 5, 2009

Warranty Quandary

The question is: How long is the Gen2 CPS' warranty period?

Sales: 3 years, confirm 3 years! If you take bank loan, bank will extend another 2 years. So total is 5 years.

Service Assistant: Proton give 2 years. All Proton cars comes with only 2 years warranty. If you take bank loan, bank will give additional 3 years. This is called the extended warranty. The bank will send you a EWP (Extended Warranty Period) letter or certificate.

But Proton's brochure and website says it's 5 years extended warranty, it didn't mention anything about needing a bank loan to get it. What if I pay cash? Means I don't qualify for the 5 years warranty? This is very misleading then!

Sales: If you pay cash, then it's just 3 years. Because no bank will extend for you. So, if you want 5 years warranty, then get bank loan.

Service Assistant: If you pay cash, then it's just 2 years. Because no bank will extend for you. So, if you want 5 years warranty, then get bank loan.

Conclusion: So, it seems that you need a bank loan in order to get the warranty 'extended' to 5 years since both sales and service seems to be consistent on that..
And the Owner's Manual states that it's only 2 years (don't believe the sales person, do some reading!)..

!!!-WRONG-!!!

I got this letter today:



It clearly states that the warranty of my Gen2 is March 18, 2014. 2014! That's 5 years from date of purchase. ^^ Guess that the staff at Proton need to be retrained! >.<

Close up of the warranty extension period:

10 comments:

  1. hi,
    In ur EWP Cert, the start date is 2011, end date is 2014, doesn't that mean 2014-2011 = 3 YEARS????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it is an EWP (Extended Warranty Period). So, if it starts on 2009 it won't be "extended" is it, since Proton gives 2 years warranty on all it's vehicles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oic... so it will be 2 years from Proton + 3 year extended warranty. Must service Gen2 @ Proton SC for 5 years to enjoy the EWP? Does it matter if my insurance is not with Allianz? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Btw, does ur SA give u the cert on the spot when u receive the car?

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as I understand it, yep~
    Yeah, need to keep going back to Proton for service and maintenance also keep the car as stock as possible for 5 years!
    Hmmm..I'm not sure bout you, but mine is but the warranty given is by Pacific & Orient Insurance..so I think what insurance the car has is not related to the EWP~
    Nope, the EWP was mailed to me a good 3 months after getting my car~ :P
    Well, if you really am that worried..u can always give i-Care a call, I'm sure they are better in answering your questions~ ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ic.. Thanks a lot for your reply.. :)
    Actually I had called i-care for few times but can't get (direct hang up/no answer/answer then hang up), very bad customer service..:(

    So far how's ur Gen2? I heard it's going to phase out, is it true? :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, all new cars will eventually be replaced by newer models (not like last time with Saga and Wira)..
    But that's in 2012, so another 2+ to 3 years isn't that bad..given it's still a Proton, parts should be a plenty~ ^^

    That's sad to hear, I thought they are serious in improving Customer Support..guess I'm wrong~ >.<
    But i-Care did call me today, to inform me that my headlamps are ready for collection! :D

    So far...anything and everything about my ownership experience is here to read.. So, it's not that bad owning a Proton as to what some others may say.. Importantly, buy the car you love so that you will love love the car you buy.. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the time for putting great comments.. Anyhow I still hope new model will be push to 2013 though.. :P

    What happened to ur headlamp btw?

    Do you mind to put a post stating the checklist/items you gone thru when u collect ur baby g2? It would be a good info for all.. :)

    Do u mind to add me in msn? It would be glad to have info sharing with u.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    Just to check, the EWP Cert my SA give me is a photostat one instead of original... Does the photostat one still serve the purposes? Or I must get the original copy?? :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Stan, headlights are ready for swap this coming Monday.. Hmmm, sorry that I didn't do up the check list for u in time.. MSN? Hmmm, I think u can get me @ lowyat.net for the time being coz I seldom MSN nowadays as I'm tied up at work (don't even have much time to update here! >.<)

    Bout the EWP Cert, I got mine 3 months after I got my car! It comes by post, so be patient, yours will be on its way to you soon.. Btw, yours if not mistaken is under Allianz insurance, so if u want to know more, visit the Proton Edar site, there's a link on the bottom right where u can download a pdf file regarding the EWP.

    p/s: My car's insurance is under Allianz, and that I just got the Policy details not too long ago (Dec if I remember properly, that's like 9 months after I got my car!).. :P

    ReplyDelete